standard-title Mision de San Jose


Misión de San José del Cabo Anuiti Catholic Church.

Iglesia Católica en San José del Cabo, Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, México.

Church San Jose Mural - Mision de San Jose

The Mission San Jose del Cabo Añuití was the southernmost of the missions Jesuit established during the colonial period of the history of Mexico in the territory of the Old California corresponding to the state of Baja California Sur. The mission was dedicated to St. Joseph, and was built on the site that pericúes called Añuití . Currently, part of the town of San Jose del Cabo ( Baja California Sur ).

The mission was provided or funded its construction by the Marquis de Villapuente de la Peña (born in 1670 Muriedas, Santander, and died at the Imperial College of the Jesuits, 1739 Madrid, Spain). The mission was built by the missionary Father Nicholas Tamaral and visitador Jose Echeverria (1730). Initially the mission was built with fragile materials near the beach and later change the location to a farther from the coast (8 site km ).

The region of Los Cabos forms the southern peninsula of California , and it was quite a site visited by Spanish and English navigators near two centuries before the establishment of the mission Añuití, which also involved the sedentarization (settling of a nomadic population) of pericúes natives.

In 1734 the Mission was the scene of the call Rebellion Pericúes started in the region of Los Cabos by Indians against the Jesuit priests. As a result, Tamaral was martyred and killed – just luck had run Lorenzo Carranco in the Mission of Santiago de los Coras Anini – and the mission of San Jose, destroyed. Between 1735 and 1736, the headquarters was moved near the coast, but the category of visita of the mission of Anuita and also stood there for a Spanish prison. Later in (1753), the mission was transferred again inland. After the expulsion of the Jesuits in the late eighteenth century , Añuití was in custody of the Dominicans .  Courtesy Wilipedia: es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misi%C3%B3n_de_San_Jos%C3%A9_del_Cabo_A%C3%B1uit%C3%AD

Church San Jose Mural - Mision de San JoseSan José del Cabo Añuiti 1730-1840

The photo on the right is from 1919, showing the damage from the hurricane of 1918. The modern town church was built on this site. No ruins remain at any of the mission’s known locations, so no GPS data. San Jose was first established near the coast, but soon moved 5 miles inland (today’s San Jose Viejo). The mission was moved back to coast in 1735, and a final move 1 mile inland was made in 1753.  vivabaja.com/bajamissions/page6.html

 

Did you know that the parish is actually 13 communities spread over 6 small churches for a total of 45,000 parishioners! We have 30 baptisms each month, one a day! Each month we also have at least 8 weddings!

For all of this, we have just two priests (yes, two!) but many committed laity who make San Jose the parish it is. My name is Padre Juvencio and my fellow priest Padre Humberto and I are assisted by a wonderful team who are the witness of Christ in our parish’s every day life.

Misión de San José del Cabo Anuiti – The Mission San Jose del Cabo Anuiti
Catholic Church – Iglesia – Parroquia de San José del Cabo
Padre (Father): Victor Refugio López García.

Services: Daily – Monday to Friday at 7:00 pm.; Saturday at 7:30 pm
Sundays at 7:00 am; 10:00 am; 12:00 noon; 6:00 pm and 7:30pm.
English Mass every Sunday at 12 noon. Visitors welcome.

PLEASE NOTE: The above hours are not correct. We waiting for confirmation of the new hours.

Tel. (624) 142-0064 | Fax (624) 142-3764

More history: Excerpts courtesy of: LAS MISIONES DE BAJA CALIFORNIA/THE MISSION OF BAJA CALIFORNIA, 1683-1849. by Dr. W. Michael Mathes (University of San Francisco) (Author), Spanish and English Edition (Series Editor)

Misión Estero de las Palmas de San José del Cabo Añuiti  (1730-1840)

The site of Msiòn Estero de las Palmas de San Jose del Cabo, thirty miles to the south of Misiones Santiago de los Coras on the Gulf of California, was established in Abril, 1730 by Father visitor Jose de Echeverria and Father Nicolas Tamaral. The mission, endowed by the Marques de Villapuente, was founded by Father Tamaral who remained as a father minister after Father Echeverria continued his tour of inspection in July, 1730. Visits were established at San Jose, La Soledad and Santa Rosa.  In 1735 mission was moved to the beach and in 1753 it was relocated at the site of San Jose.

Father Nicolas Tamaral (1730-1734), Father Fray Juan Moran (1768-1769), Juan Antonio Rioboo (1769-1773) and Pablo Zarate (1773-1798) served as resident father’s minister. Subject to attack and epidemics in 1742, 1744, 1748 and 1769 the Indian population was estimated at 100 in 1750, 63 in 1762, 50 in 1769 and 200 in 1800.

The general revolt of 1734 resulted in the martyrdom of Father Tamaral on 3 October of that year and the temporary abandonment of the mission. Tragedy also struck in May, 1769 in the form of a fever epidemic which caused the death of the majority of the Indian population as well as that of Father Fray Juan Moran, and in 1793 in the form of floods causing the destruction of the mission, which was not rebuilt until 1799. Although an attack by the Chilean insurgent ship Independencia on 17 February 1822 was successfully driven off the mission was in a state of decline, and was permanently abandoned in 1840 due to a lack of personnel.

Misión estero de las Palmas de San José del Cabo Añuiti  (1730-1840)

El sitio de la Misión Estero de las Palmas de San José del Cabo, Localizado a cincuenta kilómetros al sur de la Misión Santiago de los Coras en la costa del Golfo de California, fue establecido en Abril de 1730 por el Padre visitador, José de Echeverría y el Padre Nicolás Tamaral. La misión, dotada por el marqués de Villapuente, fue fundada por el Padre Tamaral, quien permaneció como padre ministro después de la salida del Padre Echeverría en Julio de 1730, para continuar su visita de inspección. Se establecieron visitas en San José y la Soledad, así como en Santa Rosa. En 1735 es traslado la misión a la playa, pero en 1735 fue reestablecida en el sitio original de San José.

El Padre Nicolás Tamaral (1730-1734) y Fray Juan Moran (1768-1769), Fray Juan Antonio Rioboo (1769-1773) y Fray Pablo Zarate sirvieron como padres ministros residentes. Sujeta a ataques y epidemias en 1742, 1744, 1748 y 1769, la población indígena fue calculada en 100 en 1750, 63 en 1762 en 50 en 1769 y 200 en 1800.

La rebelión general de 1734 causo el martirio del Padre Tamaral el 3 de Octubre de aquel año y el abandono temporal de la misión. Hubo dos tragedias: en Mayo de 1769 la epidemia de fiebre que causo la muerte de la mayoría de la población indígena, así como la del Padre Fray Juan Moran; en 1793 las inundaciones, que destruyeron la misión, no siendo reconstruida hasta 1799. Aunque un ataque del navío Independencia al mando de insurgentes chilenos fue rechazado el 17 de Febrero de 1822, la misión se encontró en un estado tal de decadencia que fue abandonada permanentemente en 1840, debido a la falta de personal.

Excerpts courtesy of: LAS MISIONES DE BAJA CALIFORNIA/THE MISSION OF BAJA CALIFORNIA, 1683-1849. by Dr. W. Michael Mathes (University of San Francisco) (Author), Spanish and English Edition (Series Editor)



Pin It on Pinterest

Share This